January Match Reports


Despite the atrocious conditions, the pitch being flooded the day before, gale force winds, and heavy rain, The Wood started brightly, and opened their account after 5 minutes. The goal came courtesy of a Steve Daly special from the edge of the box. 1 minute later a Mark Brown header made it 2-0. In the 20th minute a Shaun Marshall cross found Tony Samuels who made it 3-0. Five minutes later Steve Heffer made it 4-0 after Fisher struggled to clear a corner. In the second half with the match already won, Boreham Wood eased off. Fisher having most of the play where rewarded with a penalty, taken by Steve Watts after Gary Nisbet brought down Kelly Haag in the 80th minute.



Boreham Wood started this Herts Challenge Cup, by resting five of the first team regulars from the line up. Even so the class of a team 4 divisions higher showed. Paul Shaw opened the scoring after 17 minutes, and Boreham Wood seemed to be in complete control. Matt Timpson from Harpenden had other ideas however, and blasted a fantastic goal from 40 yards out. Despite the 1-1 score, Boreham Wood carried on playing a somewhat cocky game and in the 31st minute Paul Shaw scored his second, after a good run from Rob Hollingdale.

The 2nd half saw Wood happy to pass the ball around without any real interest in going forward. It was against the run of play, that in the 66th minute Harpenden ventured out of their own half, and having strung a few good passes together were rewarded with a 2nd goal from Matt Timpson. This seemed to give Harpenden a lift and they held their own for the rest of the 2nd half.

Extra time kicked off and almost immediately Shaun Marshall, who had come on as a sub in the 80th minute, scored. This seemed to take the wind out of Harpenden who began to look very tired. 2 minutes later Marshall had done it again and Boreham Wood where 4-2 up. The half continued in the same vein with Harpenden holding on. The 2nd half of extra time kicked off and 5 minutes into it, that man Marshal was there again. The SUB had got his hat trick.

Harpenden had played well and certainly had not disgraced themselves. The biggest obstacle on the night was their own fitness.



Boreham Wood started this match under strength due to injuries. The patched up side knew what was expected of them, and though lacking some of the slick passing skills that the Wood has shown over recent weeks, soon took control of the game. Bishop’s Stortford found themselves camped in their own half, defending their goalless draw.

Shaun Marshall wasted a great chance with just the goal keeper to beat, and minutes later was unlucky, shooting wide from the edge of the box, Gary Nisbet also saw his header go just over the bar. The second half started as the first half ended, with the Wood pushing forward and Stortford hanging on. In the 75th minute Wood were unlucky not to have been awarded a penalty after substitute Kerry Dixon was upended in the box. With 8 minutes to go Stortford conceded a free kick 15 yards outside their penalty box. From the resulting free kick the keeper caught the cross without much trouble, then was appeared to be bundled over by Shaun Marshall, as the ball fell loose Shaun Marshall tapped the ball into the empty net. To everybody’s surprise the Referee allowed the goal to stand, it was no more than Boreham Wood deserved for trying to play football against a team that came for the draw

Back To Match Reports Index :