Match Reports

Boreham Wood 4 Carshalton Athletic 4
16/01/99 Match report to follow
Boreham Wood 4 Hampton 2
12/12/98 With the absence of the Manager and his assistant, Wood produced one of their best performances of the season. After some early misses, Wood took a deserved lead through Mark Brown on twenty minutes with a well taken goal. 5 minutes later Kerry Dixon made it 2-nil with a delightful touch that was pure vintage Dixon.

Being 2 goals down Hampton went for the more physical approach, but credit to the home team they never retaliated. Woods none stop pressure was too much for Hampton and Tony Samuels made it number 3. Hampton had only one chance in the first half and converted it into a goal.

In the second half , Wood restored there 3 goal lead with a well taken free kick from Simon Ireland. Most of the 2nd half saw Wood camped in Hamptons’ half, but seemed to want to walk the ball into the back of the net. Hampton’s only effort of the half resulted in another goal, to leave the final score at Boreham Wood 4 Hampton 2.

Wood dominated the match from start to finish and should have doubled their score.

Boreham Wood 3 Gravesend & Northfleet 1
28/11/98 Against a very young and lively Gravesend, Wood had to be alert. Although the visitors were play8ing the better football, it was Wood that took the lead after 12 minutes following a corner. The keeper failed to hold on to the ball and left a easy tap in for Tony Samuels. Gravesend for their part carried on taking the game to the Wood, but for all their tidy football, Martin Taylor was never really worried.

In the second half Boreham Woods poor finishing particularly from Tony Sameuls, let Gravesend stay in the game longer than they should have. It was in the 77th minute, when Mark Brown ran form nearly the half way line and calmly slotted the ball into the back of the net. With 5 minutes to go we saw the move of the match, unfortunately it was from Gravesend and resulted in a goal. In the last minute of the game Wood scored again courtesy of Mark Brown.

Gravesend at times played some very nice football and I think are definitely one to watch.

Aldershot Town 6 Boreham Wood 0
07/11/98 Hard as it may be to believe from looking at the final score, but for a good part of the game Boreham Wood were on top. Within the first half hour the could have been 2 goals up if they had taken the chances offered to them. Aldershot’s first 2 goals were down to defensive errors and despite being behind at half time, it did not seem to be beyond them to get back into the game.

The second half was only 1 minute old when Aldershot scored again. This seemed to kill off any recovery in the Wood and with 3 more goals conceded the final score was a nightmare for the Wood.

Lets hope that this was a one off and that we do not see a repeat of it next Sunday, when we take on Luton in the cup.

Boreham Wood 3 Hungerford Town 1
03/11/98 With some big matches approaching "Wood" Manager, Bob Makin, took the opportunity to rest several players from the usual starting line-up. This seemed to have been a bad decision when, within 5 minutes Simon Sly had given Hungerford the lead with a header from an early corner.

Wood did not seem concerned by the position they now found themselves in, and were again on level terms on the half hour, courtesy of a Kerry Dixon header from Mark Xaviers cross.

Wood added two more goals in the last five minutes of the half, the first thanks to a mistake by the Hungerford keeper, leaving Dean Walker the easiest of goals to score on his debut. Paul shaw headed in Woods third deep into injury time.

The second half saw both sides playing some good football, but Wood were just too strong for Hungerford to make any real impact and cruised comfortably to the final whistle.

Congratulations to Dave Hatchett who made his 700th appearance in a Boreham Wood shirt in thirteen years at Meadow Park.

Royston Town 0 Boreham Wood 2


So the Wood go through to the next round of the FA Cup, but the players should not be proud. This was yet again a poor performance from Boreham Wood. They were playing a team 4 divisions below them and for much of the game Wood looked the underdogs. I know people will say that Royston upped their game, but frankly Wood could do with upping theirs.

The first goal was fumbled in by Mark Xavier and the second was a penalty. There isn’t very much to say about the build up to either goals or the performance of the team, apart from explaining to the Royston supporters nearby, that we could play football better than they were witnessing. Although I would be hard pressed to quote a game from this season. I know we can say that we have a lot of injuries, but this is just a symptom. The players on the pitch yesterday showed a complete lack of respect to either themselves or their supporters

As a season ticket holder, I am disappointed with the poor quality of football I am being expected to watch this season. I can remember the glory days, but even in the bad old days we were playing better football than this. Any Wood supporter will be eternally grateful to Bob Makin for his contribution to the team over the past few years, but perhaps the unthinkable has happened and he has run out of ideas!

The chairman is quoted as saying without more support for the club he may pull out. As a season ticket holder I feel very much the same, only for different reasons. If this is the quality of football I am going to be expected to put up with, I may "pull out" of my season ticket purchase.

Boreham Wood 1 Heybridge Swifts 1
13/10/98 Heybridge Swift came to meadow Park with the worst defence in the Premier League and most Wood supporters were expecting a goal or two. The Wood players tried to oblige, by going all out. Gary Nisbet was unlucky not to give the home team the lead, when his goal bound header was cleared off the line. Wood carried on with their quest for a goal and looked to have got the break that they needed, when a clumsy challenge on Tony Samuels gave the ref no choice but to point to the penalyy spot. Mark Brown stepped up but was saved by the keeper. The Wood penalty curse continues.

The second half saw Wood keep up the pressure. However first blood went to Heybridge. Wood were caught out by a long through ball that split the defence leaving the Heybridge striker an easy target of beating just Martin Taylor.

Although Boreham Wood continued to go forward, a goal never really looked on the cards. Awarded a free kick in the 92nd minute, Mark Brown managed to put the ball in the net with a lot of help from the post.

Yet again possession throughout the game never looked like turning itself into goals.

Boreham Wood 4 Saltdean Unoted 0
03/10/98 Boreham Wood took only 2 minutes to take control of this FA Cup second qualifing round match thanks to Kerry Dixon. The ex international drove a low shot past the keeper after the visitors had failed to clear the ball. Wood dominated the proceedings throughout the half, not giving Saltdean time to settle down, and should have added a second goal after 25 minutes when a lovely ball from Jason Shaw found Mark Brown who forced the keeper to make a good save. As the half went on the only problem for the Wood was when Kerry Dixon went off with what looked like a pulled hamstring.

The second half started with a bang in the shape of Mark Xavier, 30 seconds into the half he went past 2 defenders and then coolly pushed the ball past an advancing keeper to make it 2-nil. A minute later Tony Samuels scored Woods third and his 100th for the club. The home team were now on a roll, and it came as no surprise when they scored their fourth. Tony Samuels put in an inch perfect cross for Steve Heffer to convert.

Saldean Utd to their credit never gave up trying, but the 4 division difference between the 2 sides showed on the day.

Bob Makin may have been happy with the result, however the injury to Dixon will be a worry

Boreham Wood 4 Dulwich Hamlet 0
26/09/98 With manager Bob Makin absent, Wood put in their best performance of the season. The home team could have taken the lead as early as the 5th minute but for a goal line clearance. Ten minutes later Jason Shaw took advantage of a Dulwich defence who could not clear the ball despite 3 attempts and scored. The home team kept up the pressure and forced Dulwich to clear off the line on at least 2 occasions. With almost 30 minutes gone, Kerry Dixon scored to give Wood a two goal cushion and everything was going Wood's way. As the end of the first half approached, Mark Brown added a third from twenty yards that left the Dulwich keeper with no chance. Despite the pressure from Wood, Martin Taylor pulled off two great saves to keep a clean sheet.

The second half saw Dixon unlucky not to add to his total, he hit the post and minutes later forced yet another goal line clearance.

Simon Ireland scored his first goal for Boreham Wood midway through the second half, with a spectacular looping shot from the edge of the box into the top corner. Now four goals up Wood eased up allowing Dulwich to play a bigger part in the game, who were unlucky not to score a consolation goal.

This was by far the best performance we have seen so far this season, lets hope that this is the first of many.

Boreham Wood 2 Purfleet 1
12/09/98 It took Boreham Wood just over 10 minutes to fall back into old habits. A mistake by Garry Nisbet allowed the Purfleet forwards to punish the Wood defence. Wood enjoyed most of the first half play, but as in previous matches created very few chances. The only real opportunity fell to Mark Xavier after some good work by Tony Samuels.

Five minutes into the second half, Wood made their first subsitution, Kerry Dixon came on in place of Mark Xavier a bid to step up a gear. By midway through the second half, Wood were still one down and Bob Makin went for broke. He brought on Dominic Grime for Rob Hollingdale and Steve Sanders for the out of sorts Garry Nisbet From this moment on the Wood looked much better and levelled the score on 75 minutes with a well taken shot by Jason Shaw. 10 minutes later Kerry Dixon gave them the lead with a well taken goal that left the keeper no chance.

So finally after 6 attempts Boreham Wood had won a league game. On a personal note I cannot understand why Bob Makin continues to play with 2 wingers whose crosses are wasted on the shortest player on the pitch and another whose strengths are not in the air.

Boreham Wood 2 Enfield 0
05/09/98 Both sides came into the cup tie low in confidence due to their poor starts in the league. The both battled well but were unable to create any scoring chances. The only effort of the first half was a shot from the edge of the penalty area from Mark Brown that went wide of the mark.

The second half started with more of the same with perhaps Enfield just gaining the edge. 15 minutes into the second half the visitors should have taken the lead when a through ball split the Wood defence and left a one on one situation with Martin Taylor. The Wood keeper was up to the challenge and made a superb save. Later in the half the Enfield keeper returned the compliment by pulling off a great save to deny Mark Xavier.

Things started to change for the Wood with a double substitution: Kerry Dixon and Dominic Grime on for Simon Ireland and Tony Samuels. Immediately Wood started to look the better side, and it was not long before they took the lead through Jason Shaw. Wood added a second in the dying minutes through the old veteran Kerry Dixon after some fine individual skill by Xavier.

With a win finally under their belt lets now hope that Wood will begin to play the football we know they are capable of.

Hampton 3 Boreham Wood 3
05/09/98 Hoping for an improved performance Wood found themselves a goal down after only 2 minutes. They went on to play the better football, but were guilty of yet again not taking their chances. With the half hour approaching Steve Heffer equalised with a shot from the edge of the 6 yard box. Ten minutes later Jason Shaw put the Wood into the lead with a shot from almost 30 yards which left the keeper no chance. As half time approached a mistake from Garry Nisbet allowed Hampton to equalise. Bob Makin could not have been happy with the half time score after seeing his team squander so many chances.

The second half was more of the same. Wood dominating the match, but not adding to their score. With 20 minutes to go another mistake by the Wood defence gave Hampton the lead. A Steve Daly goal 3 minutes from time saved Boreham Wood from a defeat.

Overall this was a good performance by the Wood however poor finishing and lack of concentration at the back once again cost them the 3 points. If we want to be challenging as opposed to fighting off relegation we need to convert our chances into goals.

29/08/98 Wood trying to put the disappointments of the last two games behind them started this encounter brightly. While enjoying the lions share of the possession, they could not convert it into goals, with most of their efforts being long range shots which were seldom on target. The best effort of the half came in the 35th minute when Steve Daly headed just over.

The second half saw Walton play a bigger part in the game but like The Wood, they also never looked like scoring. At the final whistle a goalless draw was a fair result for two teams who had long run out of ideas.

Wood’s confidence is not very high at the moment and the last thing they need is the trip to high flying Aylesbury Town on Tuesday 1st September

22/08/98 With the disappointing friendly results behind them, things could only get better for the Wood. They had the better of the early exchanges and should have taken the lead after 10 minutes through Heffer. The midfielder was unmarked in the penalty area, but with reasons best known to himself decided to pass the ball rather that shoot. This resulted in the home defence managing to scramble the ball away. Shaun Marshall tested the keeper minutes later, when his well struck shoot was equally well saved.

The second half saw Dagenham up the tempo and as the hour came they took the lead, with the first and only shot of the game. Boreham Wood struggled on and lost their way for most of the half. With only 20 minutes to go they finally woke up and launched an all out attack. The goal they had been threatening came on 80 minutes a wonderful strike by Mark Xavier. Wood continued to attack for the remainder of the match but were unable to find the winner.

Back To Index
Back To Home Page